Slack Best Practices and Ideas

If you haven’t seen it, a few years back we published a blog post about how to optimize Slack to help you focus. You can check it out here.

I’d love to know if anyone has any tips or tricks for Slack that go above and beyond any of these ideas. It’s been a while since we did any serious thinking about this and we’re starting to think about future Slack integrations with RescueTime.

1 Like

I really like the emoji acknowledgement one, it’s great way to show you’ve gotten a message without disturbing anyone.

The ones in the article are all great. My team has started doing a thing where if we’re about to post a big message or group of messages, we post the subject of the discussion as a message in the channel, ie:
:person_in_tuxedo:Chris: Nav Update QA
And then in a thread of that message I write a couple messages giving an update and the people who need to discuss that topic can keep it in the thread without notifying everyone in the channel. It also keeps the channel pretty tidy too!

So, I guess thread best practices and when to actually stop posting in a thread because it’s too long, and you’re notifying everyone in it, is a useful slack skill to have.